Thursday, January 13, 2011

Imprimatura Demonstration

Imprimatura demonstration from the Fall semester, that I did for my Head Rendering course I teach at UVU. I used transparent brown oxide and raw umber over canson canva paper that I had prepared with a double coating of clear shellac. It leaves the surface slick enough to enable me to easily whipe out the lights. I primarily used a fan brush to avoid applying too many details and kept to about 2 hours in painting it between talking about what I was doing and assisting students in their work.

 

A couple things to note, on the left hand side you'll see a darker smudge, I showed what happens if you let your solvent be the only chemical you use at this stage and how it affects the skin of the paint. On the right I showed the difference between using a shop towel to wipe away paint and a kneaded eraser.

No comments:

Post a Comment